Sunday 10 February 2013

Can you over do something?

Yes, yes you can. One example, which has dawned on poor students for decades now and I think personally should stopped. It can only happen in one class... English.
This rant has come up because at the moment I am preparing for a controlled assessment on Romeo and Juliet (not coursework at home, but in class. Thank you education system...) and thanks to English I actually can't stand books/plays anymore.
Decent books which have been murdered:
To kill a Mockingbird (aka tequila mockingbird)
Frankenstein
Of Mice and Men
Romeo and Juliet
All the great books I have studied over years and have been destroyed over the over analysing of books. I personally strongly dislike English i.e I hate it so much. If you can speak it, you can do english. That is my theory. But no. You have to be able to explain the different language used and what effect it has on this character... blah blah blah
This is especially horrible when having to describe just a certain theme within a certain part of that certain book/play.... erghhh
" The bedroom was blue"- This conveys that the bedroom was a pure place which had a bright side to it no matter the darkness outside...
I'm sure whilst play writers and authors were writing it they weren't thinking of some hidden meaning for English teachers to torture students with and make them hate it for the rest of their lives.  
 Repeat that statement about 100 times and explain it in more detail. Put it in a page long paragraph and there, you know how to pass your English GCSE. IT MEANS IT'S BLUE!!
I'm sure if you are someone like me who hates writing essays and just rambles on for pages and pages until you have run out of things to talk about, you don't check. I never check my essays.. Yeah that is like the worst thing ever but the thing is I can't actually read my hadnwriting...
I have been moaned at by my english teachers since I was in year 3 about how illegable it is. And also I found out that it is 5% of your written assessment grade.. haha.. crying..... haha... I'm gonna lose that 5%. 
Like I said at the beginning I stopped preparing for an exam to write this because I am so angry about it, and the rant is over so I must get back to the "star crossed lovers" or are they?

In response to : http://thenobodyguide.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment